Sunday 11th November 2018, Westhoughton Remembrance Service

On Sunday 11th November 2018, four members of our Pupil Parliament attended a Remembrance Service at St Bartholomew’s church along with Miss Clark, Miss Kelly and Mrs Watkin. Other primary schools from the local area were also in attendance alongside other members of the wider community.

The first part of the morning involved a service inside the church where we sung hymns and donated to the Poppy Appeal. We also said prayers for those who lost their lives in war, especially those in World War I as this was a special centenary event for the end of the First World War. After that, we congregated with over 1000 other people around the cenotaph where a wreath on behalf of our school was laid.  At 11am, the entire community paid their respects by taking part in a 2 minute silence.

The children thoroughly enjoyed representing school as part of such a special and poignant service.

Eliana: It was special for me because I know a lot about World War I due to our recent topic lessons at school.

Ellis: It was important for me because I could share it with my family.

Samuel: I thought it was special because I was chosen to lay the wreath on school’s behalf.

Aleah: It was important for me because my grandma’s great grandad served in WWI.

Miss Clark and Miss Kelly felt extremely proud of our Pupil Parliament representatives as their behaviour and conduct throughout the service was impeccable. Thank you to everyone who attended including parents and carers.